For advice and information about managing volunteers during Covid19, please visit the NCVO website by clicking here.
There are other grants available for businesses and charities.
Council invites applications for new business grant – updated 5th June 2020
The online application process for the Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund for businesses is now open.
This new grant of up to £10,000 is open to small and micro businesses which have been significantly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, but which aren’t eligible for the Government’s Small Business Grant Fund or the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Fund.
Eligible Calderdale businesses can apply for the Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund at www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-19-business-support until 5pm on Friday 26 June 2020.
Calderdale Council has £3.2 million from the Government to award the new grant locally. This does not cover the full amount of support needed, so the Council is lobbying Government for more funds and can currently only accept applications from the following types of business:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces, such as units in industrial parks and science parks which do not have their own Business Rates assessment.
- Regular market traders with fixed building costs, such as rent, who do not have their own Business Rates assessment.
- Bed & Breakfasts which pay Council Tax instead of Business Rates.
- Charity properties in receipt of Charitable Business Rates Relief which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief.
- Applicants must meet the definition of either a small business or a micro business.
- Applicants must not be eligible for or benefiting from any other of the Government’s COVID-19 grant support schemes.
- Applicants must have high fixed property-related costs and be able to demonstrate a major drop in income as a result of the pandemic.
When the grant application process has closed in three weeks’ time, the Council will review the funding available. Any remaining amount will be made available for other types of business in a second round of grant applications.
In the first phase, grants will be available as follows:
- £5,000 for businesses which are in shared spaces that have property-related costs and employ 10 or less staff.
- £10,000 for businesses which are in shared spaces that have property-related costs and employ between 11 and 50 staff.
- £2,500 for Bed & Breakfasts that pay Council Tax and have less than six bed spaces and to be used wholly or mainly as guest or boarding premises.
- £2,500 for charities in shared spaces that have no property costs but are supported by landlords who pay Business Rates.
- £5,000 for charities that have property-related costs and employ 10 or less staff.
- £10,000 for charities that have property-related costs and employ between 11 and 50 staff.
The online application form for the Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund went live on Friday 5 June. Businesses are urged to check their eligibility before applying at www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-19-business-support and must ensure they have the following information when completing the application form: their Business Rates or Council Tax account number; evidence of the number of staff employed; evidence of the lease or rental agreement for the property; evidence of the financial impact of COVID-19.
Grants of up to £10,000 are available to help smaller charitable organisations affected by the impact of Covid-19 through CAF to help you to continue to deliver much needed support to our communities across the UK. It is anticipated that they won’t be able to offer a grant to all eligible applicants, but if you are successful, they aim to make payments within 14 days of application. For more details, visit https://www.cafonline.org/charities/grantmaking/caf-coronavirus-emergency-fund
B&M appreciates that many households will be facing extreme hardship due to the current crisis. As a community retailer with over 670 stores across the country, they would like to do their little bit to help people get through this.
Each of the stores are authorised to provide a local foodbank with a £1,500 donation, so they can buy essential groceries, cleaning goods and toiletries. The foodbank needs to be a registered charity and one foodbank per store is eligible.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your foodbank, stating the registered charity number, the registered address and the full name of the representative authorised to collect the donation. Please also state your preferred nearby B&M branch that you wish to visit. They will then reply on how to access the donation.
Safer Communities Fund – West Yorkshire: COVID-19 Grant Round
Up to £6000 to support communities dealing with the fall out of COVID-19, specifically those projects and interventions which target domestic and sexual abuse, child sexual abuse, mental health, fraud and drugs and alcohol.
Independent Age have £2 million of funds to help smaller organisations across the UK working with older people hardest hit by the virus.
Their Grants Fund is made up of four separate funding rounds. In each round they will make £500,000 available where organisations can apply to receive up to £15,000 each.
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.independentage.org/community/grants-fund
Government grants for businesses
To apply for the £10,000 or £25,000 grant from the Government, visit the Council website here.
Facebook have set up a Small Business Grants Programme to help small businesses across the world to survive during Covid19. They have a business resource hub and details about the grant can be found here https://www.facebook.com/business/boost/resource
Help for individuals
If you are vulnerable, please visit Calderdale Council website and complete the form
For information about food banks in Calderdale, please visit the Council website by clicking here.
Do you need additional support?
Calderdale Council are working closely with voluntary sector partners to make sure that people can easily request help when needed. If you need If you or someone you know needs extra support during this difficult time, please complete this form and the Council will contact you to discuss how they can help.